Thursday, January 7, 2010

No More Makebelieve



As is common, I'm sure, among children whose parents both wear glasses, my darling little angel-monkey loves to put on her parents' glasses, or Mr. Potato Head's glasses, or anything that looks like it might be glasses, and pretend they are hers.

As of yesterday, she no longer needs to pretend.

Several weeks ago, we had her evaluated for preschool placement, and one of the tests they did was a very rudimentary vision exam.  Whereas she did fine when using both eyes and when using only her left eye, her right eye was extremely weak.  Weak enough that the examiner couldn't say exactly what Cordy's vision in that eye was, so she simply put down 20/80 and advised us to see an optometrist.

Tammy and I happen to have a very good optometrist who also examines children, so we scheduled an appointment with him.  Two weeks ago I took my princess to see him.  He confirmed that her left eye was strong and needed scarcely any correction, if any at all.  However, he could not determine anything better than 20/200 in her right-eye.

Based on refraction and other tests he was able to do on his end, he had a good idea of what prescription she needed, but because she was tired and angry from the dilation drops he'd given her earlier, she wasn't in the mood to cooperate with the actual "look at the picture and tell us what you see" exam any more.

Yesterday, we picked up the new glasses, and she seems to like them.  Wore them all day yesterday without a complaint (until just before bed - she came to me and said, "Gasses off now?"  To which I replied, "Of course, but we have to brush our teeth and put on pajamas, now").

She wasn't happy about that.  But she agreed, eventually, and she also agreed to wear the glasses again today.

Another thing:  She is supposed to wear an eye patch over her strong eye for 2 hours each day, to help force her weak eye to work, and strengthen.  She has a cute pink eye-patch for that.  I'll try to get a picture of it and post it later.

Anyway, that's what's up for now.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I totally believe in exercises to strengthen the eyes, just like a muscle. Not that I don't agree with glasses and contacts because obviously people need those. But sometimes I think they allow the eyes to not have to work.

I have some perscription glasses for driving and I hardly ever use them unless I have a really bad headache and can't see well, or are too tired tot ry to focus. But I notice after wearing them for a few hours, I can't see straight for a long time afterwards. Whereas normally I can see fine usually. (but obviously I have the glasses for a reason, the far distances are getting a tiny bit fuzzy for me)

Poor Cordelia. Her eye exam didn't sound fun. HOw is she adjusting to her glasses? And the eye patch?

Steve and Tammy said...

She likes the glasses. No apparent need to adjust to them. The patch she doesn't care much for, but so far she is patient with it for about 3/4 of the time she is supposed to wear it. Then we argue about whether or not she's going to keep it on until the full two hours are up. Then she wins ;)